Reiki works individually and in alignment
for that person's highest good which
can be difficult to quantify. There are many articles and
testimonials to it's effectiveness. On this page, you will find links
to some of these as well as some helpful
short excerpts and highlights.
The links to the articles are in PINK and
the excerpts are in GREEN.
Anything in BLACK
is a reiteration of the name of the article
if it is unclear from the link.
"In animals studies, Reiki treatment produced clear signs of reduced stress as indicated by changes in autonomic, biological measurements such as heart rate and certain cellular signs of stress related damage."
"AS of 2009, the Touchstone Process has evaluated 25 test studies that appeared in peer-reviewed journals evaluating the merits of Reiki Treatments. Taking into consideration only the most rigorously controlled studies, the team reported that 83% showed moderate to strong evidence in support of Reiki as a viable, therapeutic healing modality."
3) https://reikiryoho.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/marcus-2012-improvement-cancer-reiki.pdf ("Symptomatic Improvement Reported After Receiving Reiki at a Cancer Infusion Center" Dawn A. Marcus, MD1 , Betsy Blazek-O’Neill, MD2 , and Jennifer L. Kopar, CAVS3)
" Reiki results in a broad range of symptomatic benefits, including improvements in common cancer related symptoms. 94% of participants found Reiki to be a positive experience." Other outcomes include " 87% found increased relaxation, 75% found decreased anxiety/worry, 79% found improved mood, 40% reported improved sleep, 47% reported decreased pain, 70% reported improved attitude, and 30% reported improved appetite."
4) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15674004 ("Autonomic nervous system changes during Reiki treatment: a preliminary study." Mackay N, Hansen S, McFarlane O.)
This is a blind trial of 45 subjects randomly assigned to no treatment, Reiki by an experienced practitioner, and Reiki placebo by someone with no knowledge of Reiki. They Found that "heart rate and blood pressure decreased significantly in the experienced practitioner Reiki group."
5) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2816237/ ("Biofield Therapies: Helpful or Full of Hype? A Best Evidence Synthesis" Shamini Jain and Paul J. Mills)
"Overall studies suggest a strong (level 1) level of evidence for the effects of bio-field therapies to reduce pain intensity as noted on the Visual Analog Scale."
" Three high-quality studies found significant reduction in the comprehensive pain assessments for bio-field groups compared to placebo."
"Three high-quality randomized controlled studies examined health-related quality of life measures....currently there is strong evidence (level 1) suggesting that bio-field therapies may improve quality of life rated physical functioning."
"Studies suggest that for hospitalized patients, there is a moderate (level 2) evidence rating for bio-field energies to reduce anxiety."
6) http://www.reiki.org/reikinews/reikin24.html (Article called "Healing Research" by William Lee Rand)
"The Helfgott Research Institute at the National College of Naturopathic Medicine in Portland, Oregon, showed that Reiki has a measurable effect on the immune system. This study examined the effect of Reiki on the white blood cell counts of volunteers who were randomized into three groups (those who received Reiki, those who relaxed, and those who neither received Reiki or relaxation). Blood was drawn for examination before the treatment, immediately after treatment, and four hours after treatment.
The study shows that Reiki enhanced the immune system by increasing the number of white blood cells in those who received Reiki. Because this was a small preliminary study, the results provide the basis for further study of the ability of Reiki to make healthy improvements in those that receive it. Hodsdon, W., Mendenhall, E., Green, R., Kates-Chinnoy,S., Wacker, E, & Zwickey, H. The Effect of Reiki on the Immune System. Helfgott Research Institute at the National College of Naturopathic Medicine in Portland, Oregon, USA."
7) http://www.equilibrium-e3.com/images/PDF/Reiki%20Measurable%20Results%20Research%20and%20References.pdf ("Reiki Measurable Results Current Research and References" Bernadette Doran). This is a nice compilation of a variety of Reiki studies.
In the study by Brewitt, B., Vittetoe, T, and Hartwell, B. “The Efficacy of Reiki Hands-On Healing: Improvements in Spleen and Nervous System Function as Quantified by Electrodermal Screening.” Alternative Therapies, July 1997, Vol.3, No.4, pg.89 the conclusion was: "Reiki has beneficial effects on lymphatics and lymph flow in the immune system."
8) http://www.equilibrium-e3.com/images/PDF/The_Science_Behind_Distant_Healing.pdf (Bernadette Doran)
"In the early 1900's, the pioneers of quantum physics - including Max Planck, Erwin Schrodinger, Weiner Heisenber, Neils Bohr, and Wolfgang Pauli....Realized the very under pinning of our universe was a heaving sea of energy, one vast quantum field. If this were true, everything would be connected to everything else like some invisible web - from Lynne McTaggart's Book "The Field."
"Physicist David Bohm's interpretation of quantum physics indicated that at the subquantum level, the level in which quantum potential operated, location ceased to exist. All points in space became equal to all other points in space, and it was meaningless to speak of anything as being seperate from anything else. Physicists call this property "non-locality" - taken from "the Holographic Universe" by Michale Talbot."
" Regarding the 'sending' and 'receiving' of the form of infomation we call healing energy, therefore non-locality implies that it is not really 'going' somewhere else - it's already there"
9) http://media.noetic.org//uploads/files/Benor_DistantHealing.pdf (Daniel J. Benor)
"Distance healing is healing that is deliberately sent by one or more healers as an intent, wish, meditation, or prayer to a healee who may be in the healers' presence or may be far away - distance of even thousands of miles does not appear to limit the effects of healing."
"Randolph Byrd studies patients in a CCU unit in a RCT and found significantly fewer patients in the prayer group required intubation, ventilation (p<0.002) or anitibiotics (p<0.005), had cardiopulmonary arrests (p<0.002), developed pneumonia (p<0.03) or required diuretics (p<0.05)"
10) http://www.thehealingtrust.org.uk/node/134 ("A Review of the Scientific Evidence Supporting the Reality of Spiritual Healing" by R.D. Hodges)
"Heraldsson and Thorsteinsoon (1973) used yeast cultures where they asked healers to attempt to increase growth of yeast cultures in tubes close by/but not making direct contact. The results showed a highly significant positive result for the healers (p= 0.00014) and non-significant result for the non-healers."
11) http://www.centerforreikiresearch.org/ (this is a great website with many more links to Reiki Research -- you do have to create a password and log in, but it is free and anyone can sign in)
14) http://reikimedresearch.org/ (a great site with lots of further links and information - this site is geared a little bit more to the medical field/practitioner)
1) Hands on Healing for Pets: The Animal Lover's Essential Guide to Using Healing Energy" by Margrit Coates. Published by Random House Books. Rider - London - Sidney. Available here: http://www.amazon.com/Hands-On-Healing-Pets-Animal-Essential/dp/1844130517
" Elmer Green, a researcher with the Menninger Foundation in Topeka Kansas, enclosed healers in electrically isolated room whose walls were made of pure copper so that all electricity from other sources would be blocked out. He demonstrated that during healing sessions surges of up to 100 volts registered from electrometers placed on the healer's bodies - an increase of over one thousand times the norm. Video footage taken during the experiments confirmed that these voltage surges had nothing to do with any physical movements made by the healers....this experiment became known as the 'copper wall experiment'."
"Following a series of lengthy and complicated experiments involving healers and enzymes in California in the early 1970's, Dr. Justa Smith concluded that the energy fields of healers produced a variety of changes in different types of enzymes, which encourage improved health of cells, and that healing could even repair damaged enzymes. Enzymes are proteins tat act as biochemical catalysts and play an important role in the body. Speeding up the enzyme reactions helps the body repair itself. This experiment alone therefore demonstrate the influence that healers have on cellular function, which in turn affects the whole body. This applies equally to our pets."
2) Animal Reiki - Using Energy to Heal the Animals in Your Life by Elizabeth Fulton and Kathleen Prasad. Ulysses Press. Available here: http://www.amazon.com/Animal-Reiki-Using-Energy-Animals/dp/1569755280
3) Reiki for Dummies by Nina L. Paul PHD. Wiley Publishing Inc. Available here: http://www.amazon.com/Reiki-For-Dummies-Nina-Paul/dp/0764599070
***REMEMBER -ANIMAL REIKI CAN SUPPLEMENT VETERINARY CARE IN MANY WAYS BUT ANIMAL REIKI IS NOT A SUBSTITUTE FOR GOOD VETERINARY CARE! WHEN THERE IS A MEDICAL CONCERN, ALWAYS CONSULT YOUR VET. ***